Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pumpkin Cookies

Don't you just love when you go to pull an old cookbook down, that belonged to your Mom or Grandma, and the pages are all torn and yellowed. You just know a those books hold some of the best recipes and there were a lot of great family dinners where people just sat around taking about how great the food was.

The thing is, you just never think it's going to be your cookbooks that will yellow and look old. Well it looks like it has happened to one of mine. The kids and grand kids reminded me over the weekend that October is fast approaching and they want their Pumpkin Cookies, something I make for them every October. I went to get the book down that holds that famous recipe and it's starting to look a bit tattered and yellowed. Now I know I bought that book brand new and it seems like only yesterday. I just smiled and had warm and cozy feeling come over me as I know these cookies will always be one of the kids favorites.

I would like to share the recipe with you and yes, I did make the Pumpkin Banner but have to admit it's one of those "cheater panels", just put it together and quilt it. Think I was too busy making cookies that day.

Pumpkin Cookies
1 Cup Shortening
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Egg
1 Cup Pumpkin (I use the can pumpkin)
2 Tsp. Vanilla
2 Cups Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Soda
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup Nuts (I use walnuts)

Frosting:
1 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Tbs. Margarine
4 Tbs. Milk
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Tsp. Vanilla

Cookies: Combine and mix first ten ingredients. Add Nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Frosting: Stir and boil first 3 ingredients for 2 minutes. Cool. Add last two ingredients. Frost cookies. My family usually does not wait for the frosting...they like them plain.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Pammie, I like the change to the background...better even than last night's change. I say you have a very lucky family who will remember these cookies with much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything pumpkin! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to make this cookies...they sound so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for you comment, I love that you stopped by to read my Blog.